Now is the time of year to sign up for our Core Curriculum sequence, a progression from the Foundations in Family Therapy course to the Live Clinical Supervision course to the Clinical Externship in Family Therapy program.
Save the Date
Mark your calendars for the annual Moving Families Forward Gala on Monday, October 21.
Don't miss out on "Short Conversations," an online video series treating viewers to ideas for living from the world renowned Ackerman faculty.
Watch Videos Now....
Enter your email address and receive updates from the Institute.
Substance Abuse and Family
- substance abuse and family: overview
- substance abuse and family: treatment
- substance abuse and family: training
- substance abuse and family: resources
- substance abuse and family: staff
Director: Peter Steinglass, MD
Ackerman’s Center for Substance Abuse and the Family (CSAF) is dedicated to the development of treatment models for addressing problems arising in families secondary to substance use and abuse in one or more family members.
In particular, the Center’s work focuses on those situations in which substance abuse is a complicating factor compromising the family’s ability to address crises and/or manage on-going issues in family life, including:
- problems at work
- raising children
- social relationships
- relationships between family members
Our approach focuses on:
- identifying existing resources within families;
- exploring how these resources have been compromised by the demands of substance abuse, and;
- strategizing with families how to reverse this process.
It is our belief that by mobilizing the inherent strengths within families and by working with families to understand how substance use has compromised family relationships, families and clinicians can collaborate in designing strategies for reversing the downward spiral of alcoholism and drug abuse.
By bringing families together to address the previously unrecognized consequences of substance abuse, we offer families the unique opportunity to share perspectives about the impact of alcohol and drugs on their relationships, and to generate new strategies for tackling the unwanted consequences of substance abuse on family life.
In addition to the development of treatment models, the Center’s parallel missions include:
- training mental health and medical professionals how to use family-focused approaches to substance abuse treatment;
- researching the effectiveness of our treatment approaches;
- educating the public about the effects of substance abuse on family life.
Learn more about Ackerman
Institute in this short video...