Foundations in Family Therapy
• The Ackerman Institute for the Family SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0052.
• The Ackerman Institute for the Family has been approved for Continuing Education Credit Hours by the National Association of Social Workers, CT and meets the continuing education criteria for CT Social Work Licensure renewal.
Family therapy has developed many effective and innovative ways to work with families, couples and individuals. The Ackerman Relational Approach incorporates exciting new ideas and practices. Trainees will learn the:
- History of the field of family therapy, as critiqued through a postmodern lens, with an emphasis on contemporary practice
- Development of systemic thinking, and how it informs interviewing, hypothesizing, and clinical interventions
- Interplay between the interior life of individual family members; the relational interactions of the family; and the influences of the larger social context
- Impact of race, racism, gender identity and sexual orientation on families and family therapy
The course includes didactic presentations, discussions of reading materials, case presentations, experiential exercises as well as observation and discussion of videotaped therapy sessions conducted by experienced family therapists. Trainees learn theory and clinical concepts. They will also work on expanding their own identity development in respect to social contexts of power and privilege and integrate these elements into their current clinical work.
Please learn more by viewing the video below:
Who should apply: Social workers, marriage and family therapists, mental health counselors, psychologists and psychiatrists.
Date: 30 classes, Mondays, beginning September 11, 2017
Time: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. OR 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Tuition: $3,350. Full tuition is due upon acceptance.
CE Contact Hours: 90
Submit your application:
Mail: Ackerman Institute for the Family
Attn: Training Department
936 Broadway, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10010
DEADLINE FOR COURSE APPLICATION: Operates on a rolling admissions basis
For more information, contact:
212 879-4900, ext 111