Now is the time of year to sign up for our Core Curriculum sequence, a progression from the Foundations in Family Therapy course to the Live Clinical Supervision course to the Clinical Externship in Family Therapy program.
Save the Date
Mark your calendars for the annual Moving Families Forward Gala on Monday, October 21.
Don't miss out on "Short Conversations," an online video series treating viewers to ideas for living from the world renowned Ackerman faculty.
Watch Videos Now....
Enter your email address and receive updates from the Institute.
community and international training
Ackerman Institute for the Family is committed to bringing family therapy theory and skills to workers and therapists in the community who are providing services and therapy to families struggling with a broad range of needs. Currently, Ackerman provides on-going training to many agencies throughout the metropolitan area who are serving families, including the Jewish Child Care Association (JCCA), St. Dominic’s Home, Green Chimney’s Children’s Services, CAMBA, and The Adolescent Portable Therapy (APT) at the Vera Institute.
Trainings are specifically designed to meet the learning needs of staff, and can be provided as a one-time event, or as a more intensive series of several full or half-day trainings. Case consultations and/or live case consultations can be included in any training series. All of the presentations integrate ideas from family systems theory and the Ackerman Relational Approach. Additionally, presenting faculty members show relevant video of family therapy sessions, highlighting teaching points. The following list provides a sample of possible workshop topics:
1) An Overview of Family Therapy: The Ackerman Relational Approach
2) Developing and Facilitating Multi-Family Groups
3) Engaging Challenging Parents in Treatment
4) Working with Latency Age Children- Tools for Making Therapy Fun
5) Working with Families Struggling with Substance Abuse
6) A Systemic Approach to Working with Families in Foster Care
7) Treating Children with Relational Trauma
8) Early Child Development and Parenting Processes
9) Family Therapy with Children Under Five
10) Treating Adolescents and Their Families
11) Working with Couples
12) Working with Families with Serious, Chronic and/or Life Threatening Illness
13) Gender Variance and Family Therapy
14) Working with Families and Sexual Abuse
15) Tools for Helping Parents Manage Children’s Behavioral Struggles
16) Mental Illness and the Family
To plan a workshop or training program tailored for your agency please contact:
212 879-4900, ext 135
The International Training Program of the Ackerman Institute for the Family provides expert training in family therapy theory and practice to a number of partners in various countries. The scope of these partnerships has ranged from a nine year collaboration that replicated the core training program of the Institute with Yang Methodist Memorial Social Service Agency in Hong Kong to a smaller five-year program undertaken in collaboration with The Association of Counselors in Japan through which Ackerman Faculty trained Japanese faculty in Family Therapy. In addition, the International Training Department has arranged for various Institute faculty to present their clinical research in Chile, Argentina and Mexico. Ackerman's newest international collaboration, initiated in 2007, is with the Shinui Institute in Israel.
For information about international training please contact:
212-879-4900, ext 135
Learn more about Ackerman
Institute in this short video...