Children with Special Needs
Director: Judy Grossman, DrPH, OTR
The Special Needs Project provides specialized family therapy services to families who have children with autism, ADHD, learning disabilities, sensory processing disorder and other developmental disabilities. The purpose is to promote family resilience as parents deal with the cumulative challenges they encounter raising a child with special needs. Some of the benefits of family therapy include:
- Increased understanding of the child with special needs
- More sensitive and effective parenting strategies
- Increased marital satisfaction and co-parenting
- Improved sibling relationships and attention to the needs of the typically developing child
- Increased family support, coping, problem solving and communication skills
- Appropriate family routines and activities
- Opportunity to discuss family struggles and the emotional reactions to having a child with a disability
- Increased confidence to navigate early intervention/special education and medical systems
Additional project activities include six-week Parent Discussion Groups and workshops for professionals working in early intervention and special education schools and agencies.
Learn more about the Resilient Families: Children with Special Needs Project in this Ackerman Podcast episode!
Project Director: Judy Grossman, DrPH, OTR, 212 879-4900, ext 121
Clinical Project Associates:
Judi Aronowitz, RN, LCSW
Sara Goldsmith, NCSP
Elissa Kirtzman, LCSW
Tracy Ross, LCSW
Parents of children with special needs take an unexpected journey that brings forth many emotions – confusion, uncertainty, grief, surprise, compassion and pride. Come join us and hear Dr. Judy Grossman, Director of Ackerman’s Special Needs Project, and a panel of parents discuss the joys and challenges of raising children with special needs.
Dates: Tuesday, February 13, 2018
Time: 9:30-11:30 a.m.
Location: Ackerman Institute for the Family, 936 Broadway, NY, NY, 10010
Registration: 212-879-4900 ext. 108, email@example.com
For more information:
Brenda Nikelsberg , Administrator
212- 879-4900 x108,