Summer Practicum Supervisor
Reports to: Director of Training
Start Date: June 2019
The Ackerman Institute’s one-month Summer Clinical Practicum offers an opportunity for trainees to develop specific skills in family and couple therapy through lecture, discussion, case studies, and live interviews. Trainees will conduct therapy interviews while also working as part of a clinical consultation team. The program focuses on learning relational interviewing skills and systemic approaches to change. The program will be offered in June 2019.
- Meets three days per week from 9 am to 3 pm for four consecutive weeks in June, for a total of 12 classes.
- Ability to teach foundations of family therapy concepts as an intensive to trainees at different levels of experience.
- Has a working knowledge of putting into practice the Ackerman Relational Approach and/or can introduce basic interviewing methods: relational questions, interviewing for multiple perspectives, bring forth questions around the presenting problem, and teach how to formulate a relational hypothesis.
- Supervises live cases for each trainee, up to six students.
- Provides an oral evaluation for each trainee.
- Makes recommendations of the trainees for continuation in the training program at Ackerman.
- Lead Teacher in the Ackerman Institute’s Foundations or Clinical Seminar for at least three years, OR;
- Has taught a similar course in an academic setting outside of Ackerman for at least 3 years.
- Has a video tape of recent work to show their thinking about working clinically and/or supervising.
The following are valued but not required:
- Presented clinical work/supervisory work at Ackerman faculty meetings.
- Created a body of work which has been presented at Ackerman’s Workshop Series.
- Has created a body of clinical work that has been presented at national/international conferences.
- Has been published professionally.
Application Requirement and Process:
- Submit a CV and letter of interest to Lisa Lavelle, Director of Training at: email@example.com
- At the interview, candidates will be asked to present recent video material that represents their own supervision or clinical work.
- Deadline to apply is February 25, 2019.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, disability, or veteran status. The Ackerman Institute for the Family is committed to social justice and is an equal opportunity employer.