Over 375 guests and supporters attended the Ackerman Institute for the Family’s 13th Annual Moving Families Forward Gala on October 21st, 2019 at the InterContinental New York Barclay in New York City. The event benefitted the Ackerman Institute’s family therapy programs and services, and focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The gala was hosted by CNN White House Correspondent, Abby Phillip and featured a special guest appearance by Tony, SAG and Emmy winning actress, LaChanze. Actor and comedian, Judy Gold served as the gala’s auctioneer.
The Ackerman Institute’s Social Work & Diversity Program was recognized with the Ackerman Legacy Honor. Program Co-Director, Laurie Kaplan accepted the award on behalf of the program and its many supporters.
Guests viewed a special video presentation about the Social Work & Diversity program, which can be viewed on our YouTube channel.
Gisselle Acevedo, Ackerman President and CEO offered the following remarks:
When we support and nurture the relationships of parents, children, wives, husbands, sisters and brothers, families heal, and are transformed. We know when pain is not transformed it will be transmitted. We know that therapy services are not equitably distributed in our communities. We also know that transformation is a process. To that end, our near 60-year presence in NYC means Ackerman is part of the fabric of families and this city. As a community, we are working together, to ensure that families facing complexities in a complex world find pathways and form connections where they find deep love and know that they too are deeply, deeply loved.—Gisselle Acevedo, Ackerman Institute President & CEO
The 2019 Moving Families Forward Gala Honorees:
- Christina Ackermann, Executive Vice President, General Counsel of Bausch Health, received the Ackerman Courageous Leadership Award.
- Ashley De La Rosa, currently starring on Broadway as Janelle Woods in Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, was honored with the Ackerman Diversity & Inclusion Award.
- Tamsen Fadal, 12-time Emmy-winning journalist for PIX11 News, executive producer and host of Broadway Profiles for The Broadway Channel, was recognized with the Ackerman Family Advocate Award, presented by LaChanze.
- Maria Hinojosa, Founder & President of Futuro Media Group, Anchor and Executive Producer of Latino USA, was honored with the Ackerman Humanitarian Award.
- Kate Snow, anchor of NBC Nightly News Sunday, award-winning Senior National Correspondent for NBC News, and contributing reporter for Nightly News with Lester Holt, TODAY, and Dateline NBC, received the Ackerman Champion of Hope Award.
- Ackerman’s Social Work and Diversity Program, the 27-year old initiative that diversifies the family therapy field, was honored with the Ackerman Legacy Honor.
Thank You For Your Support:
The 2019 Moving Families Forward Gala was made possible by our guests, supporters, and donors. Thank you to our corporate sponsors: Bausch Health, Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP, Delta Air Lines, Farmers Insurance, Finnegan Henderson Farabow Garrett & Dunner, Norton Rose Fulbright, McDermott Will & Emery, and Simpson Thacher & Bartlett; and our gala co-chairs, Deborah Werner and Leslie Roberts.
Missed the Gala? It’s not too late. Make your contribution today. Visit our donate page.
Photos & Video:
For more photos of the event, visit our photo gallery.
Read more about the gala in the press: