In this interactive and immersive workshop, participants will explore strength-based strategies for addressing intersectional identities within the context of Black families. Participants will examine how intergenerational transmission of trauma impacts how a Black individual shows up for themselves, their partners and their families.
The questions posed will be:
- How do we give a voice to Black people in therapy?
- How can we take the strengths of the intergenerational transmission process while recognizing the trauma embedded in some of those processes?
- How can we recognize the importance of intergenerational transmission of trauma in the interactions of Black individuals with their partners, their children, and their selves?
- To identify and recognize intergenerational transmission of trauma in Black people
- To learn how to draw from strength-based practices to treat intergenerational transmission of trauma
- To learn how to honor social location in therapy as it pertains to how a Black person sees themself
Dr. Lastenia Francis, LMFT is the Founder of Meaningful Emotion Therapy, LLC. She was first drawn to Marriage & Family Therapy because she wanted to help strengthen Black families. For the past 7 years, she has been committed to that purpose. She has experience providing individual, couple, family, and group therapy in primarily Black and Hispanic neighborhoods. Her focus has and continues to be on treating trauma experienced by marginalized communities as it relates to their ability to build healthy relationships. Her work takes a strong look at the intersectional identities and how that shows up in how the individual shows up for themselves, their partner, and their children.
She received her B.A. in Psychology & Sociology from Stony Brook University. She received her M.S. in Marriage & Family Therapy from Mercy College. She earned her Ph.D. in Marriage & Family Therapy from Northcentral University with a focus on Black military families.
- September 24, 2021
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Dr. Lastenia Francis, LMFT
3 CE Contact Hours
Location: Online Event
A link will be emailed to you one day before the event. Online events are held in Eastern Standard Time (EST).