Free Clinical Training Opportunity with the Ackerman Institute’s Gender & Family Project
The Ackerman Institute’s Gender & Family Project (GFP), The NYC Unity Project, and the Administration for Children Services (ACS) have joined forces to increase NYC’s capacity for family engagement and acceptance for TGNC youth. GFP is recruiting up to 6 NYC-based clinicians for the Family Engagement and Acceptance Training; a FREE year-long didactic and clinical training in family engagement and family therapy with families of TGNC youth.
- Be a NYS licensed mental health professional.
- Practice (at least part time agency or CBO) in one of NYC’s five boroughs.
Clinicians who identify as a person of color, and/or as LGBTQI are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Family Engagement and Acceptance Training will start in early September 2020 and will consist of:
- The Ackerman Institute’s Foundations in Family Therapy course which runs virtually for 30 weeks Mondays 5:00-8:00 PM. Please do not apply to the Foundations class through the Ackerman Institute’s website. Rather, please click the link to the Unity Project/GFP application to apply to this program.
- A 15-week long virtual clinical training with a GFP supervisor from the Ackerman Institute. Classes run from 1.5-3 hours during the weekday. Exact schedule TBD.
- Using the knowledge of family systems gained from the Foundations of Family Therapy course, trainees participate in a 15-week clinical intensive as part of a treatment team working with families of Transgender, Gender Nonconforming, and Non-Binary (TGNCNB) youth through a direct observation and live consultation model. Live therapy sessions will be conducted by the Gender & Family Project’s family therapists, who will teach framework, interventions and specific clinical tools. Specialized literature and modes of care for LGBTQ youth and families will be taught throughout training.
Tuition will be free.
To be considered for the Family Engagement and Acceptance Training, candidates must complete the Unity Project/GFP application, linked here, by August 7. Interviews with eligible candidates will be scheduled in late August. For more information, email Alexis Diaz, GFP Director of Programs: email@example.com.